If a pipe bursts in your home or business and hundreds of gallons of water come rushing in at once, it can cause significant property damage. Not only can water ruin furniture, carpets and equipment in a matter of minutes, within days it can also cause hardwood floors to warp, paint to blister and wallpaper to peel away from the wall.
If the water is not promptly and properly mitigated, it can cause significant damage to a home or pose a significant business interruption for companies.
While water damage to structures and furniture can be costly to repair, there is one issue that should be the greatest source of concern for homeowners and business owners alike – mold.
If water damage isn’t properly mitigated, mold can begin to form within a few days and lead to a variety of health issues for a building’s occupants, including:
- Respiratory issues, including difficulty breathing and chest tightness.
- Throat irritation.
- Skin irritation.
Mold can be especially harmful to people with pre-existing breathing conditions, such as asthma or obstructive lung disease.
How to Prevent Mold Growth
It’s important to take the proper steps to begin the cleanup process within the first 24-48 hours of a water event. Any longer, and it becomes much more difficult to salvage property, and harmful mold spores may already have begun to make their first appearance.
While there are chemicals that can be used to treat mold, they do not completely eliminate mold spores, which will continue to post health risks to building occupants since they are just as dangerous even after they have been treated with chemicals.
The most effective way to prevent mold from forming in the first place is by calling Octagon Cleaning & Restoration as soon as you experience a water event. Once we receive a call, our team will be on site within one to two hours to begin the cleanup process.
We are experts when it comes to removing water from a property by employing several methods, including:
- Water extraction.
- Heat drying.
Once the water has been completely removed from the property, our technicians will begin the process of deodorizing and disinfecting the property.
If our technicians do discover mold during the inspection and mitigation process, they will evaluate the mold growth and contain any damage to the smallest area possible. They will then physically remove the mold and thoroughly dry any contaminated areas to ensure that the mold does not return. Finally, the technicians will follow established procedures (IICRC S500 back link for established procedures) to return the property to pre-loss condition.
If your home or business ever experiences a water issue, or you suspect that damp conditions within your building have led to the formation of mold, give the water and mold experts at Octagon Cleaning & Restoration a call. We can be reached at (207) 893-0002 in Maine, and (603) 239-2100 in New Hampshire.