Coming home to a flooded basement is something no homeowner wants to experience. Not only can it be traumatic if cherished possessions were ruined, it can also lead to more problems down the road if the water is not properly cleaned up right away.
While it can be tempting to try and take matters into your own hands, there are a lot of issues that could arise if the cleanup isn’t properly handled. For one, it could be dangerous to even enter your basement due to the potential for electrocution. Professional cleaners know what steps to take to ensure the basement is safe to enter, but homeowners may not.
Depending on the type of water that caused the flood, it could also be a health hazard. There are three primary categories of water issues:
- Clean water, such as water that has leaked from a pipe.
- Gray water that has leaked from a washing machine or other appliance.
- Blackwater containing sewage and other contaminants that could be the result of a sewer backup.
Because black water contains sewage, it is considered a biohazard. If you try to handle cleanup duties yourself without proper protective clothing and gear you could become ill.
It’s also important to make sure all water is completely removed from your basement. Professionals like the staff at Octagon Cleaning & Restoration have the necessary equipment to extract water and to properly dry your basement to ensure that no moisture remains. If all the water isn’t removed, the basement walls and floor could become damaged.
A basement that isn’t properly dried out is also at risk of developing mold, which can not only damage your home, it can lead to a host of health problems. These are potential issues that may not be obvious to a homeowner but would be to a trained professional.
If you do experience a flooded basement, give the experts at Octagon a call right away. Our team of cleaners will:
- Perform water extraction and removal to eliminate all water from your basement as quickly as possible.
- Utilize professional-grade fans to begin the drying-out process.
- Bring in professional-grade dehumidifiers to remove any remaining excess moisture from the air.
- Thoroughly inspect your basement to check for other potential issues, such as drywall damage or mold growth. If mold is discovered, the cleaning crew will take the necessary steps to remove all traces of the mold and mitigate the damage.
If you’ve experienced water damage because of flooding, Octagon Cleaning & Restoration can help. Give our team of certified water damage professionals a call at (207) 893-0002 in Maine and (603) 239-2100 in New Hampshire.