The Truth Behind the Dangers of Black Mold in Your Home

Dangers of Black Mold

Black mold has a nasty reputation and for good reason. It’s also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, which is the most common type of toxic mold. This fungus breeds and lives off moisture. If your home has ever experienced flooding or pipe leakage, black mold is probably alive and hiding in your walls or floors around the area of the water damage.

Black mold grows in materials high in cellulose and low in nitrogen. Typically black mold is found in:

  • Wood
  • Walls
  • Ceilings
  • Floors

So, what exactly makes black mold so dangerous? Toxic black mold carries spores called Trichothecene Mycotoxins. These particular spores are incredibly dangerous when inhaled. They cause symptoms such as:

  • Chronic fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Fever
  • Irritation to the eyes, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat
  • Sneezing
  • Rashes
  • Chronic coughing
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Bleeding in the lungs and nose

Trying to treat black mold at home is even more dangerous. Disrupting the spores without the proper protection and equipment is hazardous to your health. This work is best left to the professionals.

Octagon Cleaning & Restoration is IICRC-certified in the area of mold and microbial remediation. Octagon will work step by step to eradicate mold and make your home safe again.

We do this by:

  • Identifying moisture sources
  • Evaluating black mold growth (visible or suspected)
  • Containing damage to the smallest area possible
  • Physically removing contamination
  • Drying and cleaning materials to ensure that mold will not return
  • Performing or recommending procedures for returning a property to a pre-loss condition

Black mold can be dangerous, but luckily Octagon is there to help. Our offices are located in both Maine and New Hampshire and we are able to serve customers in Southern and Central New Hampshire and Eastern Massachusetts, including the Greater Boston area. Call us for a free consultation today!