House fires are an emotional and traumatizing time for anyone, but it is important to act quickly to prevent further damage to your home. Flames are the culprit for the most visible damage to your property after a fire, but smoke, soot, and water share in the responsibility of damage too. Odors from smoke and soot settle quickly into surfaces and materials, causing permanent damage in a short amount of time. It might be hard to think quickly when you’re stressing about the potential damage or loss of your home, so here are a few facts to remember about fire restoration:
- A house with fire damage is not safe to enter. You might be tempted to start the cleanup process, but this should be left to the professionals. Ash and smoke that is left untreated will cause discoloration, corrosion, and permanent odors. Fire damage restoration professionals like Octagon can prevent further damage to your property if you act quickly!
- Soot is a coating of fine, black dust made from burned coal, wood, or oil-based substances. Inhaling soot can cause severe lung problems or possibly even death. If soot has contaminated your household items, it’s imperative to call a fire restoration service provider like Octagon to assess the damage.
- Water is obviously helpful at putting out house fires, but water damage is another consequence to worry about after the flames are gone. After the fire is safely put out, your home must be completely dried or mold and mildew will take over. Octagon adheres to IICRC guidelines in the water removal and cleanup process to make sure your home stays mold and mildew free.
- Mold colonies can grow after just 48 hours of water damage. The trio of fire, water, and mold damage to your home could result in a complete loss if an expert doesn’t deal with these problems immediately.
- Many companies offer fire damage restoration services, but many lack proper training and certification to do the job. The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) is the primary agency for the industry. Companies recognized, registered, and certified by the IICRC will have taken extensive coursework to earn their certification. Octagon is proud to be IICRC certified.
If you have any questions about fire damage restoration services, call Octagon today. If there is an emergency or if you need help quickly, call the 24/7 Disaster Restoration Line at (207) 893-0002 (ME) or (603) 239-2100 (NH & MA).