Several factors can lead to the presence of Indoor mold in a business or home, including:
- Chronic humidity and condensation
- Poor ventilation
- Improper appliance exhaust
- Improperly mitigated water damage
Whatever the reason, once discovered, it’s important to take steps to properly remove and mitigate the mold once and for all by hiring a mold remediation company. Unfortunately, there are a lot of misconceptions and advice out there that lead some home and business owners to try to remove the mold themselves…which is almost never successful.
Misconception #1: You can kill all mold with spray bleach and water.
While bleach will kill mold growing on non-porous surfaces like glass, tile, bathtubs and counter tops, it cannot completely kill mold growing in non-porous materials, like drywall and wood. Mold spores on these types of surfaces are actually very difficult to kill with chemical applications.
Misconception #2: Ventilation of a crawlspace or basement will “air out” mold growth.
Adding ventilation to a crawlspace, or opening basement windows as a way of trying to prevent or halt mold growth can sometimes do more harm than good. If the outside air allowed in the mold-affected area is warm and humid, it can actually cause or elevate pre-existing condensation within basements and crawlspaces. Another thing to be aware of is that if there is mold growth in a basement, detached mold spores can actually travel throughout your home, settling on surfaces and dust and, spreading the contamination further. It’s important to keep crawlspaces and basements closed off and free of excess moisture. If you don’t currently have mold issues, but would like to prevent future growth, the best way to remove excess moisture from the air is by using a dehumidifier. Read the manufacturer guidelines first to make sure you purchase a unit that is the correct size for the space it will be used in.
Misconception #3: Painting over mold will “seal it.”
Painting or covering mold growth with another material, like paint, actually does nothing to slow or stop the growth of mold. You won’t be able to see the mold under the paint, but rest assured, the mold growth will continue to consume the surface on which it’s growing, and the damage will worsen if not treated properly.
Mold removal is not a do-it-yourself project for the average homeowner, and improper removal of mold can cause the spread of spores to unaffected areas in your home or office. The process of identifying the origin of the mold, remediation of the growth, and identifying and mitigating the moisture source can best be achieved by hiring a certified mold remediation firm. If you discover mold, call Octagon Cleaning & Restoration right away. You can reach us at (603) 239-2100 in New Hampshire or (207) 893-0002 in Maine.