If you believe you have asbestos in your house or business, it should only be removed by a certified asbestos abatement specialist like those at Octagon Cleaning & Restoration. Asbestos is a mineral fiber that can pose a threat to human health once it is airborne and inhaled. It should not be handled by untrained personnel.
Why Asbestos Should Be Removed
The harmful health effects from asbestos are well documented and continuing exposure to it increases the chance to develop an asbestos-related disease. This includes fibrotic lung disease known as asbestosis, changes in the lining of the chest cavity (pleura), reduced respiratory function and even death from lung cancer and mesothelioma.
Asbestos can be difficult to identify by simply looking at it. If you are planning to remodel your home or if your home has been damaged or if normal aging has caused crumbling drywall or insulation, you should always treat any older material as if it contains asbestos and leave it be.
Asbestos Removal is Not a DIY Process
Homeowners should not be handling asbestos or attempt to remove it from their houses. Asbestos fibers are released once materials are disturbed. Residential buildings should be inspected for any asbestos materials by a trained, accredited asbestos professional.
Hire an DEP Licensed Professional
Do not delay. Asbestos removal needs to be handled by a DEP licensed asbestos abatement contractor. Testing needs to be done by a DEP licensed testing consultant.