Flooding, burst pipes, and plumbing leaks are a nightmare for both home and businessowners. These annoyances are not planned and generally costly to repair. One of the biggest consequences of water damage is mold growth. Repairing water damage and eliminating mold spores, especially on carpeted areas, is baffling and stressful. Luckily, Octagon’s 24 hour emergency service is your mold removal knight in shining armor.
Mold is stubborn and can’t always be thwarted with home-remedies, but there are several steps to prevent mold growth after water damage occurs.
- Remove Water A.S.A.P: Using a wet/dry vacuum is your best line of defense against mold contamination. Mold will grow in 48-72 hours and acting fast is key to preventing pesky spores.
- Use Fans to Dry Carpeted Areas Faster: It will take a few days to completely dry a water-damaged room, but having a high-powered fan running 24/7 will help prevent mold growth and help circulate fresh air.
- A Dehumidifier is Your Best Friend: Moisture attracts mold. A dehumidifier will extract mildew and moisture while also speeding up the drying time.
- Steam Cleaning: This will deodorize and sanitize your flooring. Typically, water-damaged carpet padding must be replaced, but this is less expensive than re-carpeting an entire room.
- Sanitize walls and baseboards: Mold is sneaky. It is important to wash and sanitize water contaminated walls, baseboards, and hard surfaces in order to prevent spores from creeping south and nestling into carpets.
- Check Furniture: As we’ve discussed, mold is stubborn and sneaky. Mold is also great at hiding. Check underneath rugs and furniture for water damage because mold is likely to start breeding in these dark, overlooked, areas of your home.
Octagon Cleaning & Restoration is ready to whisk away water damage in both residential and commercial properties. We’ve helped thousands of home and business owners recover from these damages quickly and efficiently. We are IICRC Certified and are proud members of the Better Business Bureau.
With offices conveniently located in Windham, Maine, and Barrington, New Hampshire, we serve clients in Central and Southern Maine, Central and Southern New Hampshire, and Eastern Massachusetts, including the Greater Boston area.
You can’t control water damage but you can control who fixes it. Call Octagon Cleaning & Restoration 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.