5 Warning Signs Your Home Has Mold

5 Warning Signs

Mold removal should be trusted to the experts, and Octagon is the smart choice for families and businesses in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.

According to ABC News, mold in your home is nearly unavoidable. “Mold spores are everywhere,” said Meg Hamilton, CEO of Hamilton Thorne Biosciences. “They’re in your house, in your attic, on the street, in your living room, in your kitchen. It’s a question really of how much and what species.” There are over 100,000 types of mold and 50 are estimated to be toxic. On average, one in three people will have an allergic reaction to mold. For the elderly and children who suffer from asthma, the consequences can be greater.

So how do you prevent health problems associated with toxic forms of mold? Check the warning signs that your home might be a breeding ground:

`1. Strange Smell: Mold is pungent. It can live behind wallpaper or in the walls. If you notice a musty odor, there’s a good chance mold is thriving.

2. Water Issues: If you’ve experienced moisture issues in the past or present, there’s a near guarantee of mold growth. Common examples of growing mold due to water issues are discolored walls, ceilings and floors, as well as any water stains. Past flooding is also a huge indicator that your home has mold. Floods cause mold to grow in unseen and unexpected places.

3. Visual Mold Growth: Obviously, the biggest sign your home is growing mold is seeing mold. However, smaller strains of mold can look like dirt or soot. Some types of mold appear in an array of colors, like pinks, blacks, greys, browns, and greens.

4. Condensation: Lots of condensation in your home is a clue there are high amounts of moisture…resulting in the perfect breeding ground for mold. Glass windows and metal pipes are areas that condensation occurs, and should be checked regularly for mold growth. Alongside condensation, high humidity levels in a home also encourage mold development.

5. Neurological Symptoms: Headaches, dizziness, memory loss, short attention span, and trouble concentrating can all be caused by toxic mold growth. Mycotoxins from toxic molds such as Stachybotrys chartarum can have a serious mental effect on people more than the allergic symptoms caused by other non-toxic molds.

Octagon Cleaning & Restoration can:
● Identify moisture sources
● Evaluate black mold growth (visible or suspected)
● Contain damage to the smallest area possible
● Physically remove contamination
● Dry and clean materials to ensure that mold will not return
● Perform or recommend procedures for returning property to a pre-loss condition

For more information on banishing your mold, please call our Maine office at 207-893-0002 or our New Hampshire office at 603-239-2100, or reach out by email: cleaning@octagonrestoration.com